Anuradhapura City Tour
Feel the city vibe while having a chat
Briefing the Tour
This tour is designed to explore the proud history of Srilanka and the history of Buddhism in Srilanka. Srilanka is a country which has more than 2500 of written history. If you are interested on researching ancient cultures, ancient technology, ancient traditions of Srilanka this tour is ideal for you. If you are a free independent traveller (FIT) who booked a hotel in Anuradhapura or Habarana area, we can pick you at the Airport to drop you to the hotel. But without just dropping at the hotel we can give this day tour at Anuradhapura on the way to drop you to the hotel.
Anuradhapura is a major city in Sri Lanka. It is the capital city of North Central Province, Sri Lanka and the capital of Anuradhapura District. Anuradhapura is one of the ancient capitals of Sri Lanka, famous for its well-preserved ruins of an ancient Sinhala civilization. It was the third capital of the kingdom of Rajarata, following the kingdoms of Tambapanni and Upatissa Nuwara.
The city, now a World Heritage Site, was the centre of Theravada Buddhism for many centuries. The city lies 205 km (127 mi) north of the current capital of Colombo in the North Central Province, on the banks of the historic Malvathu River. It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world and one of the eight World Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
Our chauffer guide will pick you from the airport and will be headed to Anuradhapura. This tour is generally designed to start around 10.00 am from Anuradhapura. We can do the adjustment depending on your schedule.
This will be not a just a walk but also a guided tour with an experienced chauffer guide.
The following highlighted areas and places will be covered on the Anuradhapura city tour.
- Isurumuniya Temple – (½ hours)
- Ranmasu Uyana / Star Gate– (½ hours)
- Sri Maha Bodhi Tree – (½ hours)
- Ruwanweli Maha Stupa – (½ hours)
- Abayagiri Monastry – (1 hour)
- Samadhi Buddha Statue – (½ hours)
- The Elephant Pond – (¼ hours)
- The twin Pond – (¼ hours)
- Tissa Weva (Lake) – Refreshment
Those mentioned highlights will be covered in the tour but there will be No order for that. It will depend on the Chauffer guide lecturer’s plan and your schedule on that day.
60% of this tour will be based on walking in the ancient city. While walking our experienced chauffer guide lecturer will give you lot of information and share his experiences.
The average length of this tour is 4 hours. Maximum 5 hours
You will be picked at the airport or at Colombo by a chauffeur guide, a suitable luxury vehicle will come to pick you.
After travelling 170 km from Airport through Wariyapola - Galgamuwa highway you will be arrival to the Anuradhapura.
Pickup can be arranged from any airport or any place you want. At the end of the visit you will be dropped to your decided drop location.
If you don’t like to see and learn Buddhism and traditions, History and culture.
If you don’t like to visit ancient sites and watch ruins.
If you don’t like to go to religious places.
If you don’t like to walk inside a big monastery premises
If you are uncomfortable to walk under the hot sun
- Inside the sacred city of Anuradhapura two of the most venerated premises are located that is sacred Bodhi tree and Ruwanweli maha Stupa. There will be Buddhist devotees who comes to worship. We better not to disturb them when we tour and we have to give the priority to worship.
- When we go to Buddhist temples traditionally we remove our hats and shoes. Therefor you have to remove your hats and shoes before enter. You can use temple socks.
- You have to walk under the hot sun. because Anuradhapura is located in the dry zone of Srilanka.
- Use mineral water bottle specially when we have a walk.
- If you want to taste street foods, please talk to our guide first and get his recommendations.
- If you want to buy anything in the street talk to the guide and get his advices
- Before starting the tour Guide will give you a briefing of the tour. Please adhere to his or her advices throughout the tour.
- Pickup from the Airport or Hotel and Drop back to the Hotel or Airport
- Good Quality Vehicle with a Professional Driver
- One drinking water bottle for one passenger (500 ml)
- Face masks and sanitizers
- Face Tissues
- Car park fees
- Express way Tolls (if applicable)
- Service of a professional National guide lecturer or Site Guide Lecturer (English speaking)
- Any food and beverages
- Tips for Driver and Guide
- Any entrance fees to a site.
- Anything other than mentioned in “includes”