Dambulla City Tour
Feel the city vibe while having a chat
Briefing the Tour
Dambulla cave temple can be considered as an ancient Art Gallery in Srilanka. If you are interested on ancient paintings, painting techniques, human anthropology and world’s history of humans this tour will be ideal for you. If you are a free independent traveller (FIT) who booked a hotel in Dambulla or Habarana area, we can pick you at the Airport to drop you to the hotel. But without just dropping at the hotel we can give this day tour at Dambulla on the way to drop you to the hotel.
Dambulla is one of the major cities in Matale District of Central province, situated 160 km from capital Colombo. The city is located in intermediate zone. The city is one of the main distribution centres of vegetable, due location at a major junction. Hence also known as sleepless town in Srilanka which functioning 24hrs and even many banks functions 24hrs as well, specialty the area is thought to be inhabited of as early 7th century BC to 3rd century BC Archeological excavations found that ancient people lived on agriculture even before 7th century BC. In Dambulla soil except carrot and leaks rest of the vegetables of Srilanka can be grown.
At the Ibbankatuwa Prehistoric burial site near Dambulla, prehistoric (2700years old) human skeletons were found on scientific analysis to give evidence of civilizations in this area long before the arrival of Buddhism in Sri Lanka. Evidence of ancient people living on agriculture have been detected in this area for over 2700 years according to archaeological findings. (750 BC)
Our chauffer guide will pick you from the airport and will be headed to Dambulla. This tour is generally designed to start around 10.00 am from Kandalama Lake (Dambulla). We can do the adjustment depending on your schedule.
This will be not a just a walk but also a guided tour with an experienced chauffer guide.
The following highlighted areas and places will be covered on the Dambulla city tour.
- Kandalama Lake (½ hour)
- Dambulla Cave Temple (2 hours)
- Ibbankatuwa megalithic burial site (1 hour)
- Ibbankatuwa Lake (½ hour)
Those mentioned highlights will be covered in the tour but there will be No order for that. It will depend on the Chauffer guide lecturer’s plan and your schedule on that day.
60% of this tour will be based on walking. While walking our experienced chauffer guide lecturer will give you lot of information and share his experiences.
The average length of this tour is 4 hours. Maximum 5 hours
You will be picked at the airport or at Colombo by a chauffeur guide, a suitable luxury vehicle will come to pick you.
After travelling 130 km from Airport through Ambepussa - Kurunegala highway you will be arrival to Dambulla.
Pickup can be arranged from any airport or any place you want. At the end of the visit you will be dropped to your decided drop location.
If you don’t like to see and learn Buddhism and traditions, History and culture.
If you don’t like to visit ancient sites and watch ruins.
If you don’t like to go to religious places.
If you don’t like to walk inside a big monastery premises
If you don’t like to have a natural swim
- There will be Buddhist devotees who comes to worship. We better not to disturb them when we tour and we have to give the priority to worship.
- When we go to Buddhist temples traditionally we remove our hats and shoes. Therefor you have to remove your hats and shoes before enter. You can use temple socks.
- You have to walk under the hot sun. because Dambulla is located in the intermediate zone of Srilanka.
- Use mineral water bottle specially when we have a walk.
- If you want to taste street foods, please talk to our guide first and get his recommendations.
- If you want to buy anything in the street talk to the guide and get his advices
- Before starting the tour Guide will give you a briefing of the tour. Please adhere to his or her advices throughout the tour.
- Pickup from the Airport or Hotel and Drop back to the Hotel or Airport
- Good Quality Vehicle with a Professional Driver
- One drinking water bottle for one passenger (500 ml)
- Face masks and sanitizers
- Face Tissues
- Car park fees
- Express way Tolls (if applicable)
- Service of a professional National guide lecturer or Site Guide Lecturer (English speaking)
- Any food and beverages
- Tips for Driver and Guide
- Any entrance fees to a site.
- Anything other than mentioned in “includes”