Sigiriya Rock Fortress
Feel the city vibe while having a chat
Briefing the Tour
Sigiriya is one of the most popular destinations in srilanka. Whoever comes to visit srilanka do not miss to visit this magnificent marvel creation. We have designed this day tour including Sigiriya and Pidurangala with a special guided lecturer to give you a more informative experience. If you are a free independent traveller (FIT) who have book a Hotel near Sigiriya or Habarana Area, let us pick you at the airport and drop you at the Hotel at Sigiriya with a valuable day tour in Sigiriya Rock fortress and Pidurangala cave and rock temple.
Sigiriya or Sinhagiri (Lion Rock pronounced see-gi-ri-yə) is an ancient rock fortress located in the northern Matale District near the town of Dambulla in the Central Province, Sri Lanka. The name refers to a site of historical and archaeological significance that is dominated by a massive column of rock around 180 metres (590 ft) high.
According to the ancient Sri Lankan chronicle the Chulavamsa, this area was a large forest, then after storms and landslides it became a hill and was selected by King Kashyapa (477 – 495 AD) for his new capital. He built his palace on top of this rock and decorated its sides with colourful frescoes. On a small plateau about halfway up the side of this rock he built a gateway in the form of an enormous lion. The name of this place is derived from this structure — Sīnhāgiri, the Lion Rock (an etymology similar to Sinhapura, the Sanskrit name of Singa-pore, the Lion City).
The following highlighted areas and places will be covered on the Sigiriya fortress tour.
- Water Garden
- Boulder Garden
- Terrace Garden (3 ½ hours)
- Sigiriya Frescos
- Sigiriya Graffiti
- Lion’s paw
- Pidurangala Rock (1 hour)
Those mentioned highlights will be covered in the tour but there will be No order for that. It will depend on the Chauffer guide lecturer’s plan and your schedule on that day.
80% of this tour will be based on walking in the ancient city. While walking our experienced chauffer guide lecturer will give you lot of information and share his experiences.
The average length of this tour is 4 hours. Maximum 5 hours
You will be picked at the airport or at Colombo by a chauffeur guide, a suitable luxury vehicle will come to pick you. After travelling 130 km you will be arrived to Sigiriya.
Pickup can be arranged from any airport or any place you want. At the end of the visit you will be dropped to your decided drop location.
If you don’t like to hike mountains or climb steps.
If you don’t like to walk under the Hot sun.
If you don’t like to go to religious places.
If you don’t like to visit and study about ancient technology, culture and arts.
- Sigiriya area is generally Hot and Hot sun light is expected most of the times of the year.
- On the top of the rock wind is hard. Be aware of your Hats.
- Use mineral water bottle specially when we have a walk.
- If you want to taste street foods, please talk to our guide first and get his recommendations.
- If you want to buy anything in the street talk to the guide and get his advices
- Before starting the tour Guide will give you a briefing of the tour. Please adhere to his or her advices throughout the tour.
- Pickup from the Airport or Hotel and Drop back to the Hotel or Airport
- Good Quality Vehicle with a Professional Driver
- One drinking water bottle for one passenger (500 ml)
- Face masks and sanitizers
- Face Tissues
- Car park fees
- Express way Tolls (if applicable)
- Service of a professional National guide lecturer or Site Guide Lecturer (English speaking)
- Any food and beverages
- Tips for Driver and Guide
- Any entrance fees to a site.
- Anything other than mentioned in “includes”